Please view in portrait mode
Official Website of Western India Football Association
I-League: Mumbai FC end winless run; down Shillong Lajong 2-1

Mumbai FC came from a goal down to defeat Shillong Lajong 2-1 and end their winless streak in an I-League Round-23 encounter at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong on Sunday.

Striker Cornell Glenn (19th minute) put the hosts ahead in the first half before goals from Alfred Jaryan (45+1st) and Ashutosh Mehta (50th) handed Mumbai FC a well-deserved win.

The triumph also ended Mumbai FC’s 11-match winless run which stretched way back to December, and took their tally to 24 points from 21 games helping them move up to 10th place in the standings.

Mumbai FC began the game on the backfoot soaking pressure in the initial exchanges and had ‘keeper Nidhin Lal to thank for pulling off some decent saves.

However, Lajong finally broke the deadlock in the 19th minute. Trinidad and Tobago World Cupper Glenn, received the ball in the Mumbai FC half and went on a solo effort before finishing off with a powerful shot past Nidhin.

Meanwhile Mumbai FC settled into the game and went close at the other end five minutes later. Medio N. P. Pradeep curled in a perfect freekick but was denied by the Lajong custodian.

Mumbai FC kept on pushing ahead and were rewarded for their persistence when striker Alfred Jaryan pulled them level in the first minute of added time. The Liberian striker capitalised on a defensive error by the Lajong defenders on a corner kick and scored from close range to restore parity going into the break.

Mumbai FC began the second half in the best possible way taking the lead in the 50th minute.

Midfielder Ashutosh Mehta intercepted Lajong defender Robin Gurung’s header back to his keeper Lalthuammawia Ralte. The lanky lad then beat Ralte in his stride before scoring his second goal in as many matches to put Mumbai FC in the driver’s seat.

Lajong tried to push hard for the equaliser, but Mumbai FC held on for their fourth win of the season.